All pickleball players of the Barnstable Pickleball Group are reminded that our goal is to provide an environment where all players can play the game to the best of their ability and, most importantly, have FUN while doing so.
Therefore, we ask all participants and their guests to abide by the following guidelines:
Fees for playing will be set by the BPC and will be posted at each playing site. Any fee payable on entering the courts by all players as well as guests and visitors.
Facilities and Equipment
- Everyone's help in keeping the courts and surrounding area as clean as possible is greatly appreciated.
- Everyone's help during set-up and tear-down of temporary nets on the tennis courts (if used) is greatly appreciated.
- Treat the nets and all shared-use equipment with reasonable care to avoid unnecessary damage.
- There are loaner paddles available for use by visitors and guests.
- Court shoes are highly recommended for all players. Court shoes can be purchased locally as well as online. Other types of shoes such as running shoes do not provide the stability for lateral movement. Due to concerns over possible injuries occurring as a result of improper footwear, the following types of shoes are prohibited: boots, boat shoes, flip-flops or sandals, and any shoes having a smooth sole.
Sportsmanship and Behavior On and Around the Courts
- Exhibit good sportsmanship at all times when playing or observing games and encourage others to do the same.
- Control your temper on the court at all times. Conduct yourself in a respectful manner and show others the same courtesies you would like to have shown to you.
- Do not criticize your partner or other players, nor fault them for their mistakes.
- Do not celebrate points excessively. Always apply a sense of reasonableness to the matter, keeping the “fun” in the game.
- Be considerate of others in your on- and off-court communication. Avoid shouting or verbal outbursts that are distracting to your opponent and to players on other courts.
- Avoid the use of profanity on or near the courts.
- Avoid walking behind, beside, or entering a court while a rally is in progress.
- Barnstable Pickleball is a self-rating group. All players should play at the level they consider appropriate to their skills. If an issue arises with a player’s self-rating, the BPC shall make a determination as to the player’s rating. Such determination is final.
- Keep it fun for everyone!
Conventions of Play
- All players are expected to know and follow the rules of the game promulgated by the USAPA.
- It is everyone’s responsibility to make new players feel welcome and to help them learn the game.
- It is the server's responsibility to clearly announce the score before serving each point.
- If a ball leaves your court and enters another court, call “ball on court” to warn those players.
- If a ball comes across your court, call “ball on court”, stop play, and re-play the point. Return stray balls to other courts, but not while a point is being played.
- Do not intentionally hit the ball at someone in a manner that could cause injury. Avoid overly aggressive play towards beginner or lower skill level players; consider tailoring your play to the levels of your opponents.